Sunday, February 27, 2011

Goal 7 Step out of your comfort zone

After reading about "teaching paperless" I chose this as my challenge this week.

http://teachpaperless.blogspot.com/


As a special education teacher, teaching math, I have already chosen NOT to use a traditional text book.  The other math classes in my school use textbooks and workbooks.  They teach a lesson a day and review for one day before testing on each chapter.  My students don't learn that easily and I can't use one assignment per lesson.  My students require more practice for new concepts to become concrete and applicable to them.  This requires me to use a lot of worksheets.  I teach, they work, I reteach they work, I review, they quiz, and the cycle repeats until we reach the end of the unit.

I have a lot of technology available to me at school so I am going to begin using these resources instead of spending time in the office making copies.  This will require me to learn a few things about how to upload grades from the Active board to our grading system and it will require me to spend a bit more time planning and preparing my lessons but in the long run it will be worth it.

Maybe I'll get the kids to buy in by having them keep up with how many copies we've saved and then have a discussion about this on Earth Day!

Now, how will this change my teaching?
This will help teach my students that being responsible with our natural resources will lead to better communities.  It will also get us more involved with technology which they will continue to use for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment